The Lady Elizabeth Gay Register is Head and Governor of the Barony of East Baton Rouge.
Several flags have flown over Baton Rouge since its founding. Those of France, England, Spain, West Florida, Louisiana, Confederate States of America and the United States of America.
In 1699, French explorers discovered the area where Baton Rouge is now located. D'Iberville's writings refer to the area as Istrouma or Red Stick, which when translated into French becomes Baton Rouge. Records of D'Iberville describe large reddened poles erected by Indians with fish and bear heads attached in sacrifice. These may have designated boundaries at a point separating the hunting grounds of the Bayou Goula and the Houma Indian tribes.
In 1718, the French are alleged to have constructed a fort near the area to protect travelers from New Orleans to northern outposts. the Baton Rouge area then belonged to France. The area was transferred to England by the treaty of Paris in 1763. Following this, the settlement was renamed New Richmond.
In September of 1779, the Spanish defeated the English at Fort Butte on Bayou Manchac and then captured Baton Rouge, so that by 1781 West Florida, including East Baton Rouge was under Spanish influence.
In 1810, when the Spanish were overthrown by local settlers, approximately 1,000 persons resided in the Baton Rouge vicinity. The people declared themselves independent and renamed this area the West Florida Republic. In a few months, the territory was annexed by Louisiana and was divided. At that time, East Baton Rouge Parish was created.
The Arms of the Baroness of East Baton Rouge, blazoned thusly:
Gules, rising from a castle or in base a lion or.
In Chief a fleur-de-lis or.
All crowned with a baron's crown proper.
The castle, the lion and the fleur-de-lis symbolises the historical rule of Spain, Britain and France over Baton Rouge. The city itself uses symbols of these three countries in its flag. The red color is canting of the name Baton Rouge.
The Barony of East Baton Rouge is co-extant with the Parish of East Baton Rouge.